Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The HeartBeat

We really had no idea what our appointment was about today. I thought perhaps just more bloodwork and a pee check, but we got to hear the heartbeat! 156 bpm, or as Cory put it, "That's a heartbeat climbing a hill, at least a 7!" :) Cracks me up.

When the doc rubbed the little wand (too little to be called a magic wand this time) on me, we heard the beating. Then it went away. She said, "there it is. that's your baby in there! Active little bugger too cuz he just swam away from me." She had to work on finding it again, guess he was swimming back and forth. :) I had this image of a 16 week old fetus splashing around the fluid like it was a turtle kiddie pool.

No word on the gender yet. We will be going to OKC in a few weeks for the pre-screening ultrasound. This is the optional test to check for Down's Syndrome or other abnormalities. Optional likely means insurance doesn't cover it, but being my age, risks for these kind of things go way up so we'd rather know than not. Anyway, at that appointment, we'll know the gender and likely come home with a phenomenal baby pic to post. Doc says their ultrasound machine is amazing.

No movement yet, that I can feel. But she said the size is perfect and so is the heartbeat. :) I've gained 3 pounds since the last appointment, it seems like a lot more but I was glad to hear all those cookies I ate last night didn't ruin me. :)

I came home from a work event last night sick and it has progressively gotten worse. Ugh. I went to my class this morning and just made the girls play basketball so I wouldn't have to work out. The rest of my day, I canceled and spent it in bed. In fact, it's calling my name again so I think I'll head that way.

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by!

BLOG PS: I have 4 books purchased so far: Fletcher and the Falling Leaves, for obvious reasons, Puff the Magic Dragon, Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen, cuz i loved the name, and my all-time favorite, Goodnight Moon. :)

6 comments:

Angie said...

My kids both love 'Goodnight Moon.' Also, 'Where the Wild Things Are' and 'Guess How Much I Love You,' which still occasionally brings tears to my eyes when I read it to my little ones.

That's so exciting about the ultrasound! When I had that one done, for the genetic screening (it's a Level 2 ultrasound, I think), I could actually see my daughter's eyebrows, and she was only 20 weeks gestation! That was cool. You'll get AMAZING pictures!

Candice said...

I can't wait!!! I'm sorry you are feeling sick. : (
Come on baby, show us the goods!

jckeeton said...

I didn't feel Andy until around 22 or 23 weeks. James really likes the Pigeon books. There are a few of them. 'Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late' is one. I think there is 'The Pigeon Rides the Bus' and I think there is one about the Pigeon and a hotdog. Not sure.

Carrie said...

Oh wow! That is cool. I want to hear the heart beat.

Anonymous said...

jckeeton is right about the Pigeon books. They're by Mo Willems and the Kindergarteners laugh hysterically (no pun intended) when I read those to them.

jckeeton said...

Also by Mo Willems, 'The Knuffle Bunny' is my favorite.