Monday, April 21, 2008

Hi Peeps

It’s been awhile...

Well, last week was Week No. 1 back at work. I survived. That’s about all I can say about it. It’s hard, even if she is at home instead of in daycare. There’s still the feeling that I should be home with my daughter. I worry that she will forget who I am. I worry about all the things I am going to miss while she is there and I am here. It’s not easy, and it will be even harder when she is bigger and gets a “real” schedule, because before you know it, it will be time for her to go to bed, and we will only have had a few hours of wakeful time together. It makes me sad.

I’ve decided to cut my work hours back to a Mon-Thurs. schedule. The pay cut will not be easy, but easier to manage after having 3 months with no paycheck at all. I am going to work one pay period full-time and then switch over. That way, I will have 3-day weekends each week. Fridays will be Mommy-Daughter Day! We will have great adventures together, and sometimes, we’ll make Daddy stay home from work so he can join us. I think it will be better for all of us.

Guitar Hero

Hospital week is the first week in May, so we always have a week of silliness at work. Cookouts, ice cream sundaes, karaoke... well, this year, they finally got with the times and are having a Guitar Hero and DDR contest. I can’t tell you the excitement I saw on Cory’s face when I told him I needed to brush up on my GH skills. It was like I told him I was pregnant all over again. ;)

Do we actually have the opportunity for me to do that? Not really, but we’ll try.

Riding for 2

Well, Diane and I rode this weekend. I squeaked out 17 miles. I won’t even comment on how slow I am but it sure was good to get a decent ride in. It was hard but good.

Latin festival

Aunt Paula and Kaia and I went to a Latin street festival this weekend, listened to Edgar Cruz and watched people dance. It was fun, the weather was beautiful. Kaia slept through it all but I still feel good about getting her out and about. Later that night, she went over to Aunt Paula’s so we could do out to dinner and guess what? It sucked. We decided on Chili’s and it was a wasted night of freedom. It was loud, they got my order wrong so I had to wait... ugh. Chili’s is good for southwestern eggrolls and Molten Chocolate Lava Cake. Period. Everything else is too mediocre to be worth the expense or the calories.

Shout out

Today is Diane’s 30th birthday, so Happy Birthday Old Woman! Welcome to the 30s! ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The work part is tough. That's one thing I love about my job- the hours aren't bad and I have the whole summer with my kiddos. Congrats on your decision!

Sounds like a fun week is on the way. I have never played Guitar Hero and know I would suck.

I agree about Chilis. I wish they'd use more spinach. Hate that iceberg mix.

Congrats on the ride! Slow is better than not at all.

Hang in there. Life will settle. Guilt never goes away but Kaia will not forget who you are. I have two girls who are very attached to me who both went to daycare as little ones, both younger than Kaia is. The key is to make the time you spend with them count- do things with them like read and play. Some stay at home moms simply park the kids in front of a tv all day with no interaction. -
MH

Carrie said...

We talk a lot about "practicing". We now know we can live off of one income so if we have a baby, I think we will be fine. Be glad that your job is that flexible. I love the thought of mommy/daughter day!

Candice said...

I think the four days a week sounds great! And thanks again Diane for last week and this week. Happy Birthday too!

GH III rules, I am so jealous!

Miss you guys.

Artist at Heart, Independent by Nature said...

17miles?! I'm jealous! The most I get is on the trainer...and you know you can't stay on that for 17mi!
Glad you are going to be able to have long weekends! I'm sure you will figure out the finances. She is only a baby once so it will be great for you both!

greenGuru said...

You're worried that she will forget you? Are you kidding? You're Mom. There is no force in this world stronger than that of Mom.

Try not to stress out too much. You're doing great.

d said...

Ditto to that, lady. You're doing a great job and no one forgets their mommy! That's a heart bond for life. The babysitter is just the poor sucker who gets pooped on and is naive enough to think it's cute ;) Thanks for the birthday shout out!

Anonymous said...

More pictures please.

cyclefreaks said...

I know, I know. I've been a picture slacker.