Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nothing Nipple Related, I Promise

What we have learned since February 3, 2008:
Don't use saline to clean out her nose after she has just eaten.

Don't set her in her swing after meals either.

Little girls CAN projectile pee.

She has also been known to shoot poop across the room.

You can actually puke milk out of your nose. If I never see her do that again, I'll be happy. While it's funny in theory, the look on her face while she was puking was one of terror and shock, which sent Mommy to the other room bawling.

Newborn cries are kind of cute. Very loud, but cute. Who said this kids lungs were underdeveloped??

Newborn poop looks like mustard with some sesame seeds mixed in.

Changing a diaper is really no big deal. I don't know why I was so afraid of it.

Having your baby sleep on you is the best thing in the world.

Walking into the room and seeing Daddy sound asleep with his arm draped over the bassinet is an image I will cherish forever and ever.

Newborns, and especially preemies, sleep a LOT.

Mommy staying home is a treat for us both, but if not for the internet, Mommy might go nuts

In other news, I forked out $202 today for a shot for the little one. She is at high risk for RSV because being a preemie. It's expensive, but both the nurses at Mercy and our doctor recommended it. The shot is actually $900 before insurance... ouch. Thank goodness for insurance. I dread her getting the shot though. She'll probably not even flinch, she got so used to being poked and prodded in the hospital. :(

I finally cleaned out her crib and put sheets on, even though she won't be sleeping in there for awhile. I put her in it the other day because she was kind of restless and I was tired of trying to hold her. I read her a couple stories while she laid there and looked around. She seemed pretty content with that. She sure looks little in that big ol' crib though!

I got jealous of Cory's sling so ordered myself one. The day it arrived, I also got one as a gift in the mail. Pisser of it is I didn't know you bought by YOUR size, not baby size, so instead of small, me needs a large. So they both have to be returned. Boo.

6 comments:

jckeeton said...

I dreaded Andrew's first shots at 2 months. He got three. The nurse was so fast you couldn't even blink before she was done, and he stopped crying in like two seconds. It was so not as horrible as I thought it would be. He goes back Wednesday for his 4 months shots. Hopefully it will go as easily.

Carrie said...

I don't like to that mommy was crying. I thought we automatically toughened up when we become moms.

Okjerm said...

"looks like mustard with some sesame seeds mixed in."

That literally sums up most of my days at work.

Candice said...

Misty said this was the difference between Conor nursing and not nursing, http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breastfeeding-devices/337/16mm-nipple-shield

Anonymous said...

ok, not to go on and on, but my buddy at work who once was an lc has lots of advice about getting her to nurse- her sister-in-law had a preemie too and had the same problems but has been able to get it to work out.

Yeah, Rachel was a super projectile pee-girl. Impressive. Who knew girls had it in them?

They should specify that the sling is based on the mom, not the baby. How annoying. Is Cory's sling decorated with Halo images? Just wondering if they cater designs to men and women.

She is just too cute. Oh those little cheeks!

melissa

Angie said...

I seriously need a tiny little sling. Itty-bitty, like sized for a child. (I'm 4'10" - so I am sized like a child, and all the slings are too big for me.)

If you still have yours.... hmmm... how much was it???

Shots get harder as they get older, trust me. I just had to watch a nurse and a tech wrestle my almost-5-year old practically to the floor to prick his finger for an iron check. Not even a shot, and the needle was like 1/4" long, you could barely see it. He screamed like a scalded cat for 5 full minutes afterwards.

My 2.5 year old watched all this with a silent contemplation. When they turned to her, she stuck out her hand and shrieked, "I wanna band-aid, too!! Do me, do me!!" They poked her, she flinched a little, and when she saw the blood, she said, "Wow! I bloodin'! Gimme band-aid!!"

As long as you are giving the baby breastmilk, the poop will be nice and soft and yellow. Switch to formula, and you'll learn why you were so afraid of changing diapers. You'll also learn about stain-sticks and pre-soaking, because all of Baby's clothes will be irrevocably stained with puke and diaper-blowouts.

(They spit up WAY more with formula, too, and it is STANKY!!!)