Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Thing About Soap...

I think Cory mentioned having to "scrub in" every time we want to go into the NICU. The rule is 3 minutes minimum. We stand there and scrub, up to our elbows, several times a day. I think the soap is eating the hair off my arms. I've developed a rash though at least now the swelling has gone down. Stuff is brutal. I don't know how doctors and nurses do it. I never dated a doctor, but I bet their hands are rough and gross.

Kaia was awake and alert at each visit tonight! Her big eyes are so pretty. She has Cory's eyes and mouth for sure, my chin for sure and we think my nose but it's hard to tell when it's so widdle. I had an amazing moment yesterday that I have to share...

Cory talked about her seeming to root around for something to suck... we tried doing the cheek stroking thing, holding her little chin... so far nothing has really produced a reaction. Well, last night, she had started to wake up a little and was making these little faces and opening her mouth. I touched her lip with my pinkie, and instinctively, she opened her mouth really wide and started to suck on it! I instantly gasped, then started crying. I kept thinking that is what she will do when I finally get to breastfeed her.

This afternoon, the nurse put her on her tummy on my chest to nap. It was awesome. She had her little hand out of her blanket and rested it on my chest as she slept. When it was Cory's turn, he held her the same way and she stuck out her little hand and put it on his neck. I think his heart explodes a little every single day.

Speaking of which... I don't expect it to last, but the past week has had my husband, cranky, cynical, skepticyst, saying things like "wow, that's pretty" while driving past a barn in a field, followed merely a few minutes later by "I bet that house up there has a fantastic view..." In my head, I'm wondering what kind of drug he is on, but I just nod and agree because it's not very often that he sees the sunny side of life. I think our little daughter has finally given him some perspective. But I'll let him comment on that if he wants. :)

6 comments:

d said...

makes me tear up. so glad you guys did this. hope the lotion is helping. Cory and I had the "most people are really good, some are just covered in layers of crap," discussion the other day. I think he's a closet optimist :) Can optimists still wear black?

Candice said...

He is just seeing things in a different light now. Having something so good and special come into your life like Kaia has to change you. I know it has me. I smile from ear to ear everytime I think about her.

I am so proud of you both. I knew you would be great parents and now you have this beautiful baby. I can't wait for her to get home and things to really set in.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie-
I am so happy for you and Cory. Dave and I talk about the three of you each night. Glad to hear she is getting that rooting instinct down and I commend you for sticking with nursing. I cannot imagine how tough it has been. You three are in our thoughts constantly.

And I had to giggle about Cory's newfound view on life.

Babies are amazing. I still sometimes cry when looking at my girls- even if one is 8!

Keep those post coming-
Melissa Hamby

Carrie said...

I was telling Adam last night how much different Cory is and he says that he can imagine how a baby can change your life.

I'm sorry you are so tired.

*hugs*

Okjerm said...

Hopefully by the time I post this comment she'll be cleared to leave but...

Maybe you could ask the staff for a different brand of soap. I had to after I started work. I easily wash my hands thirty-forty times a day.

NiNi said...

I got all teared-up too... SO sweet... I'm so happy that things are progressing so beautifully for you all, even if under a bit of sleep deprivation...

By the way, optimists can wear black [says the metal music-loving optimist who's always wearing black]! ;o)