Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bath Tub Woes

***NOT a baby post***

:)

When Cory & I looked at houses, I always pulled back the shower curtain or door, if there was one, to look at the tub. Being a fan of older houses, I know how tubs can get and nasty ones just gross me out. I love taking baths. It's one of my lifelong joys, my means of relaxation. I like them super hot and bubbly. I couldn't do superhot when I was pregnant and that made me sad.

When we got back from our many trips to Mercy, I finally settled in to take a bath. I noticed a strange discoloration in the tub, it looked like someone had poured brown hair dye in it. I thought, "Dammit, Paula, what did you pour in here??"

I emailed my Mom and sister, and asked if they had done anything to the tub. Neither had. I did some checking on labels of cleaners, and one that I had sprayed said "May cause discoloration in old porcelain." Great. I did it to my own tub. So I've been experimenting with different things, trying to get it clean. Yesterday, I bought a magic eraser and some soft scrub. Tried the soft scrub first, but of course, it didn't do much. Comet didn't do anything at all. If I got in the tub and scooted the scratchy side of a sponge with my foot it got a little bit lighter. (At least all this extra body weight is good for something)

We took Kaia to Tulsa today. I'm exhausted and my back hurts, so I came home wanting desperately to soak in some hot bubblies. I pull back the shower curtain and it the entire bottom of the tub is discolored, and the places where I had managed to get clean(er) were back. Back and brown. It's so disgusting. It looks like I've never cleaned this tub, when in reality, I've cleaned it almost daily to no avail.

So, my point. Does anyone have a suggestion? Solution? Miracle cure? Does anyone know the cost of refinishing a tub, if I can't get it clean? Even though I know it's been scrubbed to death, it grosses me out and I am once again, bathless.

(On a side note that C and M will appreciate, Marie asked Cory if he wanted her to go clean our bathtub. I'm sure there was more but he has not elaborated, for good reason!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy. I am no help to you. Our tub has permanent scratches that you can't see but can feel. I agree that nothing beats a hot bath. But not when you get scratched if you move at all. We need ours refinished as well.

My cheapo sorry solution is to put bubbles in so you can't see it. But alas, you would still know it was there...
Melissa

Candice said...

Fucking awesome, he should have told her to have at it. Let her see that it wouldn't come clean.
You might google and see if you get anything on how to get it clean. I have watched a lot of home shows where they redo the tubs so it can't be terribly expensive.

Mark said...

I'm guessing a reglazing of the tub might run you $250 to $350. not cheap, but much better than the headache of replacing the whole tub...

Carrie said...

I will have to think of that stuff that Adam bought. It works really good. Have you tried Kaboom?

dianie said...

uh..is bleach too obvious?

Andia said...

My gma used bleach for the longest time. It smelt horrible but it worked. Sounds strange but my gma said try Oxi-Clean. Although I think Mark might be right a reglaze sounds like it might be in order.

cyclefreaks said...

I'll try anything. Kaboom was next on my list, and I read a post online somewhere that said something called Zap? Anyone heard of it?

Bleach is a helluva lot cheaper than a reglaze but by goodness, I'll do it.

Angie said...

I've heard of Zap, I think it's about the same as Kaboom. You can try it though. Or there's CLR, that's supposed to be pretty good.

Good luck...

Anonymous said...

Did it work? Is bleach safe for every surface?
One year the kids wanted to test the pH of bleach. I was dumb enough to let them use litmus paper, which was promptly bleached... man, did I feel dumb.
-MH

cyclefreaks said...

uh, i haven't tried anything else yet. :) My sister is going to look for Kaboom or Zap today though...