Tuesday, October 9, 2007

20 Weeks

Had another appointment today. She just listened to the heartbeat and set up our next appointment. They'll be drawing me blood again and I have to do the glucose test where I drink a bunch of syrupy orange crap. That sounds fun.

I was thinking today... if women would really tell all the gross truths about pregnancy, I don't think as many women would be so anxious to get knocked up. I mean, seriously. There is nothing romantic, sexy or even sweet about this process (in my humble opinion). Today, the doc told me to get little pads for the inside of my gargantu-bra because I've started to leak this yellowy-orange gunk called colostrum and if it gets worse, it can stick to the inside of the bra and I can peel layers of nipple-skin off when I remove my bra.

Now, isn't that hot?

There is more, but I'll keep it to myself for now. Oozing nipples is gross enough for one post.

---

On a much more pleasant note, my tummy has arrived! It really pooches now, and I waddle. I saw myself in the reflection of a glass door today and realized the waddle. The tummy, I can't remember when exactly this week, but wow, it was like overnight or something. My pants officially no longer fit and it just sticks out. Before, it was like I was bloated all the time but now, this is the real thing. :)

Everyone keeps asking what we are going to name our baby girl. Well, just so you know, even when we do pick one, we won't be sharing it until she is born. There's got to be something kept as a surprise...

Two of my high school students who are pregnant are having girls. I bought them an outfit and a little stuffed bunny. It's fun to buy baby clothes. They are so cute and tiny and cheap. I really want to try to help these girls as much as I can financially with things because I know they will not be getting help at home. It's frightening to me that they are having babies. Not because they are so young, but because they come from the type of home that isn't going to provide much, in the way of support or finances. I don't even know if they have a room for the baby. One of them lives in a crappy apartment (40 North, for those in the know). I just want to rescue them all.

Anyway, the baby is telling me she wants some orange juice and sleep, so...

5 comments:

Angie said...

You may have to shop around and try different brands of those little bra-pads. That's my suggestion, anyway. I tried most brands out there - some are too small, some are too linty, some are too thin and some just fall apart. The sticky strip on the back of the Gerber ones is not worth it - it doesn't work. I ended up using natural, non-bleached cotton washable pads, but I also nursed for two years (each of the last two).

Good luck with that horrible glucose test. It's like.. what I imagine drinking snow-cone syrup straight out of the bottle would be. Only you don't get a choice of flavor.

Candice said...

Please tell your high school girls to check out wick, it's a government funded thing that helps with food and stuff. Even while they are pregnant.

You can send me emails, but I want and need to know all the gross details on having a baby. If you can't be honest with me who can I count on?!

Only a few people know the girl name we have picked out. I would have to stab someone if they stoled it so we are being careful.
Fast forward to birth of Cheney girl "Awh, Cory & Steph, you didn't have to name her Candice after me..." HA HA HA. Sorry. Need sleep, my jokes are only funny to me.

cyclefreaks said...

Candice - don't worry. I will share all the disgusting details with you. Just don't forget that you asked for it. :)

Angie - thank you for the tips... I haven't gone to get the pads yet so I'll start with the ones you ended up with and maybe I can win with the first try...

jckeeton said...

I found the not eating until after the test much worse than the drink. Make sure its cold. To me it tasted like flat Sunkist or any orange soda. Be sure not to eat very much sugar or simple carbs the night before. Corby told me it could make my test show a false positive. You don't want to have to do the next step which involves something like 5 blood draws over a couple hours.

Anonymous said...

Okay, haven't check in for a while...

YAY I'm so happy It's A Girl!!! Can't wait to buy all things pink for her :)

And I must see the waddle... I love the pregnant waddle. I am scared shitless of the needles and labor and all that whatnot, but I would just love, love, love a valid excuse for waddling (turns out overindulging in ice cream makes for a less charming sort of a waddle).

Toshya