Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Knocked Up Moment

We had our “new prenatal” appointment today. I gave five tubes of blood and had to pee in a cup twice. Yippee!

It’s kind of ridiculous really, they give you all this information that you should have had when you first found out you are pregnant. Now I’m at the end of my first trimester only to find out that I could have, in fact, taken Tylenol... you can bet your ass I’m going to take some benadryl to sleep tonight.

Anyway, one of the things in The Packet was a magazine with these really great 3D ultrasound photos of babies in varying months of life. If you’ve never seen a 3D ultrasound pic, google it. It’s really amazing. And I’m not all ga-gag over that stuff usually, but these are just unbelievable. It’s like a little photo snapshot of babies in the womb. Incredible.

So toward the back of the magazine is of course, the dreaded labor and delivery section. I told the woman I didn’t want to look at those photos yet, but of course, as soon as we get in the car it’s the first thing I flip to. OH MY GOD. Bad idea. I shouldn’t have done that. You think that scene in Knocked Up was bad, you should see these photos.

I don’t know about you guys, but we never watched films like the miracle of life where you see a baby being born. I don’t think anyone needs to see that, really. Miraculous or not, amazing as it may be, I just don’t think you need to see it.

What do you guys think? Are you going to be “on that end” of things, watching? Are you going to videotape the big event?

If Cory came anywhere near my va-jay-jay with a video camera, you can bet your ass it would be the last time he ever saw it!

16 comments:

Okjerm said...

"my va-jay-jay"... Pryor and your privates, forever associated in my mind?

No, I will not be on the "business end" of things during the birth. It would forever destroy foreplay.

...and now I've shared too much.

Carrie said...

Adam said he would be on the receiving end. I don't care really. I just hope they have a mirror so I can see. Because I will not have a camcorder around. No Way!

cyclefreaks said...

Carrie - you wouldn't want to see if you saw these pictures... ;)

Skept said...

I have no plans to be on that end, camera or otherwise. I keep hearing they make the father cut the cord though... ah, yeah.

Candice said...

I would cut Mark's balls off if he tried to video that! And I don't want to see it either. I keeping hoping for a c-section.

Mark said...

Yeah, I have no plans to be watching the birth from the "va-jay-jay" end. I'll be holding her hand and giving support on the other end.

Anonymous said...

We had to watch the miracle of life videos in 8th grade science class... mixed group, horrified and giggly-uncomfortable all at the same time. I took an anthropology class about birthing, etc. in other cultures and I swear to god we had to watch a baby come out of a representative of every country / tribe. etc. My legs were tightly crossed that semester.

Some things are better left to the imagination :P

Toshya

Anonymous said...

Speaking from personal experience, when the moment comes to start pushing you probably wont care who is inthe room. I had my mom, sister,mother-in-law, grandmother, Tyler and a varied assortment fo nurses and my doctor in the room. I don't think I would have cared in the janitor had come and taken a little look-see because by that point I had been in labor for 20 hours and had been pushing for an hour and 20 minutes. However, despite all that it really wasn't that bad. I watched the whole thing in my doctor's glasses and I am still amazed at the strength I was able to find. Just my 2 cents.

Kelly (Mark's friend, Tyler's wife)

Angie said...

My husband actually delivered our son, and then along with my best friend, helped deliver our daughter. The midwives were right there, of course, but things are a tad different with a homebirth, and while you might have a more closely-related audience (more family & friends, less strange nurses, docs, etc.) you definitely have less hands-on. I never thought I'd invite my best female friend to the area of my va-jay-jay, but after 105 hours of labor I didn't care WHO was takin' that baby out, just as long as SOMEONE did.

I never wanted the mirror, though. I had no desire to see that... especially as it was happening.

greenGuru said...

Sorry, I don't have a strong desire to see anyone's va-jay-jay to start with. I definately don't have a desire to film an audition for a Ridley Scott movie.

Anonymous said...

Jerm . . .

"OFF"

paula@gmail.com said...

No way, Jose. I agree with you 100%, no way I would want to EVER see any of that, I would never want to have sex again. I do agree that you are going to be so out of it, or drugged up, or in pain, whatever, you're going to care less what else is going on and who's in there. As for Daddy, I don't think cutting the umby cord would be so bad, that seems easy as long as you can do it from standing at the right end of things. My doc said yesterday, his wife was already 6cm dilated by the time they got to the hospital (it happened quickly) that she was like, that wasn't so bad, might as well go all the way without drugs, only 4cm to go! So she had it natural. Crazy huh?

jckeeton said...

There is a medical imaging place in town that does 3D imaging. I think its called Servent Medical Imaging. Anyway, its not covered by insurance but they will do a 3D imaging at 26-32 weeks for $99. You get to keep a 3x5 image and a CD.

Susan

jckeeton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cyclefreaks said...

Sweet! Are you going to get one? I think I'd like that, as long as it's not harmful in any way...

jckeeton said...

Yes, I think we're going to get one. I think you can have like 5 visitors, but its just going to be James and I.