Saturday, September 12, 2009

Funny

I have a hard time coming up with things to talk about if they don't involve Kaia or a picture! But I realized I have something to report this week so here I am. I'll try to throw in some Kaia to make everyone happy. :)

So, last year, probably in December, I emailed a former professor and told him I was being laid off. He moved from OSU to somewhere in New Mexico several years back and I've seen his name on the health & wellness lecture circuit a time or two. Anyway, he told me to send my resume to a guy in Dallas who works for Blue Cross & Blue Shield. Said there was a position opening up in Oklahoma and I should check it out. So I did, the guy emailed back that he would notify me once the position was posted. Well, I never heard anything and totally forgot about it.

Tuesday, I see an "unknown" listing on the iphone so I check messages and it's him. The job is now open and posted and he wanted to see if I was still available and interested. The job is senior health promotion manager and I'd be in charge of employee wellness for BCBS employees in Tulsa and Albuquerque, NM. It sounds like a good job. I applied. We'll see what happens, but needless to say, the OKC house hunt is once again on hold.

There are a ton of pros and cons to weigh, believe it or not. Mostly, I have exceptional benefits through the state, and dont' know that they can compete. My fringe is at almost 50% of my total compensation package. At SMC, benefits were like 26%. Then there's the location. We love Tulsa, but there is no "middle ground" for us so Cory would have to drive back and forth to campus and trust me, that drive SUCKS 100X worse than the one to the city. I dunno, I'll have to see what happens but it's kind of exciting.




PS: I posted some new videos to the youtube channel too...

5 comments:

Candice said...

I love how quick she went from yes to no. : )

You know, there is a large BCBS location here in Dallas. Wes works there. Maybe they would incorporate that into your locations and you could write off trips to Dallas. That would rock!

Skept said...

dude, actually, I'd be more excited about moving to Albuquerque. I don't hate dallas or anything, but I love the thought of living somewhere like New Mexico.

cyclefreaks said...

I know you probably read that as move to Dallas, but she actually didn't say anything about living there. LOL

Yes, NM would rock.

dianie said...

that is hilarious! She goes from laughing to straight rejection in seconds. What a heartbreaker!

hwall said...

Isaac and I would love it if you guys moved to Tulsa. We'd request that you find a house in Owen Park so we can be neighbors. I honestly don't think that's too much to ask.

Also, I heard BCBS is laying off people in Tulsa. I'm not sure what jobs are downsizing, but I guess it's not preventing them from hiring in different areas?